August 10, 2026

F.Y.B.Com - Sem1 - Customer Relations Skills

Customer Relations Skills 

Exercises :

A. Factual Questions (2 to 3 sentences each)

1. What is meant by ‘customer relations’?

Customer relations means how a company talks and deals with its customers. It is about building trust and good relationships with them. The goal is to keep customers happy so they come back again. It aims to build long-term relationships based on mutual trust and respect. 

(It involves understanding customer needs, tailoring offerings to meet those needs, and fixing problems before they happen. The main goal is to build long-term trust and customer satisfaction.)

2. How can a company representative figure out which product or service is right for a customer?

A representative should talk to the customer and ask questions. They should understand what the customer needs and how they will use the product. Then they can suggest the best option based on that information. By understanding the customer's exact needs, preferences, and concerns, the representative can guide them toward the most suitable option.

3. Why is it important to develop customer relations skills in the modern business world?

Today customers have many choices. Good customer relations help a company keep its customers loyal. It also helps in getting good reviews and more sales. Without good relationship skills, a company can lose customers quickly. Good customer service leads to high customer satisfaction, positive reviews, and increased company revenue.

4. How does gathering feedback help improve customer relations?

Feedback tells a company what customers like and what they do not like. By listening to feedback, a company can fix problems and improve services. It also makes customers feel valued and heard.

5. What is the role of metrics in evaluating how customers feel about a company or a service?

Metrics like surveys and Net Promoter Score measure customer satisfaction. They show if customers are happy or not. Companies use these numbers to find areas of improvement. These figures allow management to track their progress objectively and adjust customer relation strategies.

6. What are some ways to ensure consistent quality of customer service across all touchpoints?

Companies should train all employees well. Using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools also helps keep customer information organized. They should use the same rules and standards in stores, on phone, and online. Regular checking and feedback also help keep service quality the same everywhere.

B. Interpretative Questions (about 100 words each)

1. Why is it important to justify one’s recommendations to a potential customer?

When we recommend a product, customers want to know why. If we just say "buy this" without reason, they may not trust us. But if we explain the benefits, features, and why it is good for them, they feel confident. Justifying a recommendation shows that we care about the customer’s needs, not just sales. It builds trust and makes the customer feel respected. Also, if the product really suits them, they will be happy later and come back again. This helps in long-term customer relations and good company image. So, When customers understand why a product is suitable for them, they feel respected rather than manipulated or forced, which leads to successful sales and long-term brand loyalty.

2. How is it beneficial for a company to empower its employees to make decisions that benefit the customers?

When employees have power to solve customer problems, service becomes fast. Customers do not have to wait for a manager’s approval for small issues. When staff members have the authority to issue refunds or resolve disputes on the spot, they feel responsible and motivated.

They can make customers happy on the spot. This creates a positive experience for the customer. It also saves time for both the customer and the company. Overall, it builds a customer-centric culture where the customer comes first. This leads to more loyalty and better reputation for the company. Customers appreciate fast, effective solutions, which creates a positive experience.

3. Why is proactive customer service better than reactive customer service?

Reactive service means solving a problem after the customer complains. Proactive service means finding and fixing the problem before the customer faces it. Proactive service is better because it prevents trouble. Customers feel cared for when a company calls them first about an issue. It reduces complaints and builds strong trust. For example, if a company informs about a delivery delay before the customer asks, the customer feels respected. Proactive service saves time, money, and effort for both sides. It shows that the company truly values its customers. This prevents dissatisfaction, reduces complaints, builds higher trust, and establishes a reputation for reliability.

C. Personal Response Questions (about 100 words each)

1. Write about one positive and one negative experience you have had while dealing with the customer service of a company you bought something from. Would you buy anything from either of these companies in the future? Justify your answer.

Once, I ordered a phone online, and it arrived damaged. I called customer support, and the agent was polite and empathetic. They immediately arranged a return and sent a replacement unit within two days, which was a great experience. On another occasion, I bought shoes from a local store, but the sole tore within a week. The staff acted rudely and refused to exchange them. I will definitely buy from the first company again because they value customer satisfaction. I will avoid the second store due to their poor after-sales support and disrespectful behavior. I will not go again there and buy anything from them due to bad service.

2. Are positive customer relations truly necessary? Shouldn’t providing a good product or service be enough to retain customers? Justify your answer.

A good product is important, but it is not enough. Customers also want good treatment. Even the best product can fail if the service is bad. Positive customer relations make customers feel valued and respected. When there is a problem, good relations help in solving it easily. Customers also tell others about good service, which brings more business. Today there is competition in every field. So companies must focus on both product quality and customer relations to survive and grow in the long run.

Customer service includes support before, during, and after the sale. If a customer buys a great product but faces rude behavior or bad after-sales support, they will switch to a competitor. Positive customer relations build trust, loyalty, and brand reputation that product features alone cannot provide.

3. How do you feel about the integration of AI in customer service? Does it make the necessity of human intervention obsolete? Justify your answer.

AI is very helpful in customer service. Chatbots can answer common questions 24/7. They are fast and save time. AI can also track customer data and give personal suggestions. 

But AI cannot replace humans fully. For complex problems and emotional issues, we need human understanding and empathy. People want to talk to a real person when they are angry or confused. So the best way is to use both AI and humans together. AI for simple tasks, and humans for difficult and sensitive cases.

D. Situation-Based Questions (about 100 words each)

1. A customer of the sports shoes company where you work likes a pair of running shoes for their colour, but you know the company offers another option of a higher quality that is more suited to the task. How would you handle this situation?

First, I will appreciate the customer’s choice and say the shoes look nice. Then I will politely tell them about the other option. I will explain why it is better for running. I will talk about comfort, support, and durability. I will not force them, but give them information to decide. I can also let them try both pairs. My goal is to help the customer, not just sell. If they still choose the first one, I will respect their decision and help them with the purchase.

2. The official website of the clothing company you work for is promising a gift voucher to customers who bought apparel worth Rs 5,000 or more. However, some angry customers call you to say that the offline store is claiming the offer has expired even though there is no change on the website. How would you handle this situation?

I will first listen to the customers calmly and apologize for the confusion. I will check with my manager about the offer details. If the website still shows the offer, then the customer is right. I will assure them that they will get the gift voucher. I will also inform the store to update their information. After that, I will follow up to make sure the problem is solved. Good communication and quick action can turn an angry customer into a happy one.

3. A customer who has bought a modem from your company calls you to say that their device is not functioning and their internet is getting disconnected constantly. How would you handle this situation?

I will listen to the customer patiently and show empathy. First, I will ask some basic questions to find the problem. I will guide them to restart the modem and check cables. If the problem continues, I will log a complaint for technical support. I will give them a complaint number and tell them when the technician will come. I will also offer temporary solutions if possible. Finally, I will follow up to make sure the issue is fixed. This will make the customer feel supported.

No comments:

Post a Comment

F.Y.B.Com Sem 1 Vocabulary Building

  Vocabulary Building Exercises (Page No. 50) A) Identify the Root Word Below is the breakdown of each word and its corresponding root meani...